Thursday, May 14, 2015

Why You Sweatin’ Me?


Deodorant/antiperspirant and body odor is such an awkward and touchy subject in our American society. Dates back to about 5th grade for me. Hormones are starting and when nobody wants to be the smelly kid. I actually remember in 5th grade when my teacher had “the pit talk” to the class one day after recess.  Could you imagine our faces? I also remember her anti-make up talks too. My, oh my how that worked out for me. (Oh to grow up in the Pacific Northwest.) Well now I’m giving you my “pit talk”. I’m sure you have heard that deodorant/antiperspirants are now giving you cancer, just like everything else. If you have not heard this let this be a PSA. It takes great social strength to say I’m going to let my BO linger, which is quite admirable, but will never be this gal’s reality.  It’s totally easy to throw your hands up and be like whatever! I’m not going to be stinky! I’ll get cancer one way or another! This is a HUGE mental battle for most, but then again maybe just me. There has got to be a better solution than stinking. I’ve tried what I would like to think a wide variety of natural deodorants and have not been happy until now which sparked my interest to write this article. I endured smelling worst than any BO I could handle, squeaky slightly sticky underarms, and my favorite to date a rash because apricots and my skin do not get along. I have triumphed to come out on top and smelling better than before. 

Let’s get scientific for a minute.  (Hope I didn’t loose you.) Did a little light reading and research on the subject.  Let me give you a little background. Aluminum found in antiperspirant forms a temporary plug in sweat ducts stopping you from perspiring. Parabens are preservatives that help keep the shelf life of products. Seems simple enough right? 

Researcher’s hypothesis state that when antiperspirants are left frequently on the skin near the breast area some of the product is absorbed into the skin causing estrogen hormonal effects. What is found in cancer cells? Parabens and estrogen. What is found at high levels in the brains of Alzheimer’s patient’s? Aluminum.  There was a study done in 2004 by Pub Med, which found parabens in every 18 out of 20 samples of tissue from breast tumors. I would say seems like a no brainer! We should probably stop using parabens and aluminum in products. Well every study I’ve read concluded with however this study was inconclusive and cannot be proven.  Boy am I a torn slightly hippie (by my PNW associations) girl! So what I found is there has been no confirmation or direct links to cancer or Alzheimer with use of deodorant and antiperspirants. So what Dr. scientist PHD is saying, “Maybe, kinda, sorta, could be.” 

Some more food for thought; there is a warning on all deodorants containing aluminum “Ask a doctor before use if you have kidney disease.” Well I don’t have kidney disease but I’d rather not give my kidneys a work out so I can smell better. In my book any beauty product should NOT come with a warning. It’s beauty, vain, and not necessary. Don’t get me wrong, I’m in the beauty business and I’m not saying we should all rub dirt on our cheeks for bronzer. Let us never under estimate the power of a shower people. Until someone can get back to me with more solid information on if my romantic rose Teen Spirit deodorant was a bad choice in my early years I will be using and loving my lavender scented EO organic deodorant just to be on the safe side. Next time you smell someone with killer BO applaud them for being so bold. I know I will and then I will hold my breath.  


www.eoproducts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment